Simcenter STAR-CCM+ Job Submission using End-to-End Desktops
End-to-end Desktops create a seamless HPC experience on Rescale. End-to-End Desktops is a batch compute cluster with desktop visualization capability on the head node of your cluster. It provides a user interface for users to interact with the job setup directly from the analysis software.
Features of End-to-End Desktops
- Enables you to work with your batch job submission interactively. You can monitor jobs on the fly
- Enables you to distribute your batch job submission across the entire cluster using an automated process
- You can pause the analysis at anytime, edit the inputs or parameters of the job and either restart or rerun the analysis
- Job results can be viewed during and right after completion of the simulation without any delays
- Files are automatically synced from the batch job to the Desktop session and vice-versa
- There is no additional charges for the visualization
- The Desktop session is CentOS Linux
- The files are synced to the work directory of the desktop session
- Users need to explicitly terminate the job to shutdown the cluster
- Session files should to be saved to the work folder, after which they will be uploaded to the job files under Results on the platform
Simcenter STAR-CCM+ Tutorial
This tutorial shows how to submit a Simcenter STAR-CCM+ job using End-to-End Desktops. The tutorial shows you how to set up a Simcenter STAR-CCM+ project on a 2 node cluster.
Users that submit jobs to the workstation, are limited to the resources on the workstation. Simcenter STAR-CCM+ provides an option to scale up and submit jobs to a larger, remote cluster. However, the workflow is complicated. End-to-End Desktops automates this process and hence provides the option to submit jobs to a large cluster with ease.
The steps are as follows:
Job Setup on Rescale Platform
- Click on the + New Job icon on the top left hand corner of the dashboard
- Name the job
- Click on Upload from this computer and browse to the location where the job is saved. Select the file and click Open
- Jump to the Software Settings page, and select the * End-to-end desktop** Job Type
- Select Simcenter STAR-CCM+ Interactive Workflow
- Click on Next
- Select the software version as 14.04.011 (Mixed Precision)
- Select the desired licensing option
Users using their own licenses may select the Use Existing License and specify the relevant licensing information.
- Click on Next
On the Hardware Settings page, select the hardware configuration that you would like to run your simulation on. In this example, we select the Nickel hardware as shown below
Set the Number of Cores to 32
Also, set a suitable wall time so that the cluster will be terminated after the simulation
Now, you can click on Submit on the top right of the screen
Running Simulation on End-to-End Desktop
Once the job is launched, you will notice that it looks very similar to a batch job with an additional button to Connect Interactive Session on the top right of the screen
Go to the Status Tab to view the progress of the job submission
Click on Connect Interactive Session on the top right of the screen. This will open an in-browser desktop Desktop session for End-to-End Desktops that is running Linux. Alternatively, you can connect to your desktop using your choice of VNC client. Instructions on how to do this can be found here.
- Once the Desktop is launched, you will see the icon for Star-CCM 13.06.012. Click on the icon to launch
- Once Simcenter STAR-CMM+ is launched, click on File then Load.
- The Load a File session will be displayed. In this example, we will be running a simulation. Click Parallel Specified by Machine File and then set Compute Processes to 32. Click icon and then Browse to $HOME directory as shown below and select the machinefile.
- Select the desired licensing option and then Browse to the work folder as shown below and select the input file. Click on Open.
- The Project tree will be displayed on the top left. In this example, we will submit to run the job. Click on Run
- Once the job is submitted, you can view results and stop the simulation
- The files are automatically saved to the work folder
- Terminate the job to end the Desktop session. Any files saved to the work folder will be uploaded to the job files under Results on the platform